5 Step Checklist to Creating the Perfect Logo
Discover Your Audience
Don't skip this step! The first thing you must do is to get clear on who your business is trying to attract in the first place. Who exactly are you trying to provide products or services for? Remember that your business is about the people you help and serve. The more you get to know them, the better you can create a brand and logo that attracts and appeals to them. The more you can connect with your audience, the better. Create your logo design with this in mind.
- Who is my audience?
- What types of brands do they already follow?
- What types of logo styles might be visually appealing to this type of audience?
This is the fun part. You can get really creative and start making a list of all of the logos and brands that you love. The best way to do this is to research online, in magazines, stores, shopping bags, different packaging logos, different product logos, on billboards, clothing etc.
Think outside the box and have some fun getting inspired by the different brands and logos you see. Take some pictures, create a pinterest board or use a notebook to help you stay organized and keep track of the logos that stand out to you.
- Make a list of your favorite creative styles and the brands and logos that inspire you.
Moods and Colors
Different colors, sizes and shapes create a variety of moods and emotions for your customers. These emotions can leave a lasting impression on those who come in contact with your brand.
From vibrant to subtle, textured and patterned to clean and minimalistic, there are so many choices. Think about what types of colors you're drawn to and what might be attractive for your customers. Knowing this can help you decide what types of moods and emotions you want to incorporate in your logo design.
- What are some possible logo colors?
- What feelings and moods do I want my customers to have when they experience my brand and see my logo?
Narrow Your Options
Now that you have an inspired list of colors, styles and brands, it's helpful to start narrowing down your options. Now is the time to get a little more clear on your overall logo vision to figure out which direction you'd like to pursue and narrow your list down to your top 3 favorite logo styles.
- My Top 3 Favorite Logo Styles
Discover Your Uniqueness
Every brand has it's own unique personality and style. The unique qualities are what gives a brand character and what helps differentiate your brand from everyone else.
- If you have a personal brand, what are some of your unique qualities, personality traits, strengths, or things you like?
- If you have a product or service, what are some unique characteristics or features that you'd like to highlight?
- What does your business stand for? What makes it unique?
Congratulations! Now you're ready to bring it all together. If you didn't get through the entire 5 step process, that's ok. You have an idea going, and simply knowing what you like is a great place start.
When you meet with your logo designer, that's the fun part. They take care of everything. They give professional advice, inspiration, creativity and strategic direction to help bring your vision to life. With years of experience, they know exactly what to do to create a logo that you and your customers will absolutely love.